George Taylor House

Community Organizations > George Taylor House

Welcome!

In January 2009, the Borough acquired the Historic Taylor House. The purchase of the house and grounds, located at Lehigh and Poplar Streets Catasauqua, PA 18032, was made possible with significant financial assistance through grants from Lehigh County's CDBG and Green Futures Recreation and Open Space Preservation programs.

Find out more about the George Taylor House at www.georgetaylorhouse.com
and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GTHCatasauqua 

About

Address: 35 S. Front Street
Year built: 1768
Built by: George Taylor (1768-1776)


George Taylor was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, ironmaster at Durham Furnace, constructed the first court house in Northampton County at Easton, and a patriot during the Revolutionary war. He arrived in Philadelphia from the British Isles (either England or Ulster, Ireland) in 1736, worked at Warwick Furnace from 1737-1755, before moving to Durham furnace with wife, Anna Savage. He was associated with Durham Furnace until his death in 1881. However during his association with the iron furnace, he practiced law and was appointed an early Justice of the Peace and a representative to the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly from Northampton County. He was also a member of the Continental Congress, and for a short time before his death in 1781, sat on the 12 member Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania formed to govern after the separation from England.

During his time as iron master of Durham Furnace, he committed the production of the furnace to making ammunition for the colonial forces against England at a price that ended up being below cost, and resulted in his losing all his personal wealth. He resided at his elegant home in Catasauqua for only a short time, as his wife passed away just after it was built, and spent most of his time in Easton. He held onto the farm/plantation until his son, who was to inherit it, also passed away.