Address: 119-121 Bridge St
Name: Swartz/Bowen Store/P.O.S.A. Building (Patriotic Sons of America)
Year Built: 1881/1895
Built by: Joseph Swartz
Before the P.O.S.A. building was built, Swartz, who owned the building below this on Front, purchased much of this block on Bridge St in the 1860s up to the site of the grocery at Second. In 1881 he erected a large store – grocery business – here which he and his son ran until 1887. His sister Isabella Swartz purchased the building in 1887 and leased the business to David Walters. Evan and John Walters continued the grocery business here for many years (before moving it to the Max Reis Bldg on the 500 block of Front St). The building is shown as 14 2/3 Bridge St on the 1891 Sanborn map.
In 1895, the property was bought by Washington Camp No. 301 of the P. O. S. of A. who made extensive improvements, including creating a large lodge on the Third Floor. Such secret societies with lodge rooms were very common during this period. The societies and their lodges apparently created a market for cigars – as evidenced by the large number of tobacco shops in town. One social club that formed here in Jan 1908 was the Auquasat Club. The club moved to the Edgar Building (527 Front) sometime between 1920 and 1922. The Charotin Club met here from 1907-09, before moving to club rooms above the Post Office, across the street.
The John Bowen Co of Allentown opened a branch in a store room of this building in 1903. The Bowen Grocery ad came from a 1918 CHS Brown & White.
The Improved Order of the Red Men, Council No. 212 of Catasauqua, was established here in 1913. It consisted of several dozen local residents, among them Henry Stoltz of Union Street. A set of Stoltz’s Indian regalia can be viewed in the HCPA Museum at 8 Race Street. The Local Council held its meetings on the second floor of the P.O.S.A. Building on Bridge Street. When membership dwindled and the tribe became inactive, Council No. 212 was moved to Oxford, PA.
The fraternity traces its origins back to 1765 and is descended from the Sons of Liberty. It was established to promote liberty and freedom in the early colonies and to defy the tyranny of the English Crown. They patterned themselves after the great Iroquois Confederacy and its democratic governing body. Following the American Revolution many of the secret societies continued in existence as brotherhoods or fraternities.
The Adams Express Co, which handled freight orders under contract to the railroads, originally opened an office just above the Eagle Hotel before it’s office in Catasauqua was forced to close, being replaced by the United States Express Co. However in 1912 they re-opened an office in town here at 121 Bridge. In 1915 they moved to Front St and the Allentown & Bethlehem Gas Co moved here from 129 Bridge.
121 Bridge St was reccently the Bridge St Gallery. The building, 119 and 121, are owned by the proprietor of the Aquastat Lounge.
Address: 123 Bridge St
Lehigh and Northampton Light, Heat and Power Company had a retail outlet here selling “lamp shades in great variety”. Lehigh Light, Heat & Power was the result of a consolidation of all the local electric and gas companies formed in the late 1800s, which included the Catasauqua Gas Company, founded in 18xx.. It would later become Pennsylvania Power and Light.
Address: 125 Bridge St
Name: Hutterer’s Barber Shop
Year built: 1903
Built by: Dr. Willoughby, DDS (1903+)
Dr. Willoughby was married to Tillie Frederick*, the only daughter of Ogden and Clara/Clarissa Fuller Frederick (131 Front St). He initially had his office in the bank building on the 100 block of Front St in 1896. When the bank moved to the corner of Bridge and Front, he moved his office here.
The 1890 William’s directory lists a J. J. Burke who had a dentist office on “Bridge near Second”, and lived above the business. It may have been here or above Second St. Where street numbers were given in the 1890 directory or shown on the Sanborn maps, they differed from those reported in the 1914 histories and present day (there was a major adjustment of street numbers in Catasauqua around 1896).
Graffin Bros, manufacturers and agents for engines, boilers, etc had an office at 125 Bridge c. 1910.
Dr. Byron Barton, DDS, opened his office here around 1920. Barton initially practiced with Dr. Rehrig in the bank building on the corner of Front and Bridge in 1917 before serving in WWII in the US Army Dental Corp. In 1919 he opened a practice at Front & Pine, and shortly afterward, moved his practice here. . He was still here in the 1929-1930 directory, residing at 614 Third.
Dr Harold A Butz, Jr. joined the office in 1953, buying the buisiness equipment from Dr. Roger Barton, the son, and Dr Byron Barton and Dr Harold Butz continuing to practice here. They moved to 127 Front in 1961. Dr Barton passed away in 1965. Dr Butz continued to practice at 127 Bridge untill 1994, selling the practice Dr Richard Strsovsky (sp). Dr. Butz said he went to Hill’s Restaurant every day for lunch for 40 years, never ordering, as they would decide for him and have it ready. He lived 801 Bridge on “Mortgage Hill”.
Graffin Bros, manufacturers and agents for engines and boilers had their offices here. They operated from 1897 to 1913; their office was initially in the bank building. Brothers George and Harry Graffin were son’s of Charles Graffin who was an early, and longterm, postmaster in town. Harry trained as a machinist at Bethleham Iron, married Elizabeth Davies, and became an executive of the Davies and Thomas Co.
*The Fredericks were early settlers in the area, owning the old stone 18th century farm house that used to stand on the west bank of the Lehigh River opposite Race St, before the Race St Bridge was built: The farmhouse was razed when the bridge was built across the Lehigh River at Race, using stone from the house to construct the bridge entrance. The Fredericks built the house on the SE corner of Front and Union in 1853.
R. S. Davies, Shoes operated here on the first floor for many years.
Address: 127 Bridge St
Year built: between 1885-1887
This was built as the residence of Daniel & Edith Applegate; Dan Applegate wa a partner in Applegate’s general store on the corner at 133-135 Bridge. Their son Roy did hypnotism demonstrations as a young man and later became a “moving picture” star. A daughter Anna married George C. Bower, likely the son of CDW Bower who opened the meat market in the buiding next door – which was built at the same time as this residence. Daniel Applegate died in 1917; his widow continued to live here at least until 1930. The Applegate heirs sold the property in 1951 to John and Grace Delong’s.
In 1961, the Delong’s sold the property to Dr Butz, who moved his dental practice here from 125 Bridge. The dentist office opened on the first floor and the second floor was converted to apartments.
Address: 129 Bridge St
Year built: between 1885-1887
The 1896 map identifies this as a meat market on the first floor, offices on the second, and a lodge on the third. This was likely the site of the first meat market in town (associated slaughterhouse was on Canal St north of Union), opened by C. D. W. Bower who also operated a meat business in Allentown. His business was listed here in the 1887 directory of the borough.
F. J. Campbell purchased the tailoring outfit of H. L. Miller at 129 Bridge St in 1911. He moved to a larger space at 215 Bridge St in 1913. The Allentown and Bethlehem Gas Co was here for a short time before moving to 121 Bridge in 1915.
Harry Sheckler had a jewelry business here (see ad from a 1922 CHS Brown & White).
John McClellan ran The Sweet Shop here through the 20’s. Albert and Geiger operated the sweet shop here after McClellan.
Andy’s Barber Shop was also here for a time.
Frank & Emma Bahl moved to Catasauqua in 1945 from Allentown to take over the candy and ice cream shop at 129 Bridge. In 1953, they moved the restaurant up the street to what is now Hill’s Restaurant.
Address: 131-133 Bridge St
Name: Catasauqua Department Store/A&P
Year built: 1882
Built by: Applegate
In 1882, J. Applegate and Sons established a department store carrying groceries, dry-goods, shoes and rubber goods, carpets and drapery, crockery, glass and china ware, wood and willow ware, etc. An article appearing in the Catasauqua Dispatch of 1934 contains the following recollections, by author Wilson Edgar, about Applegate’s. “Old Dan Applegate’s was a romantic spot. This was more than a grocery store; this was the village market. There one could purchase almost anything. The part of the store right on the corner was the actual grocery, with its row upon row of canned commodities, the coffee grinder, pickle barrel and all the usual things that combined to make a real grocery store. One could always find “Old Dan”, slender fellow with dark gray side burns, fixing up his shelves. He always reminded me of the “Lincoln Days” pictured in history. He was a picturesque figure. His son George was the major domo in the other section of the store. There women found dress goods, gent’s clothing, footwear, and the largest assortment of needles and thread in town. Because of that, Applegate’s was the popular place for the housewives, who spent their evenings mending the family wearing apparel.”
In 1919 Applegates leased the grocery department to R. A. Clewell and Bro, who continued until January 1912 when they retired. In the rear of Applegates (Second St address) was the home of G. W. Applegate, one of the “Sons” in J. A. Applegate & Sons. The main Applegate residence was catty corner to the store (see 210 Bridge St below). Son Roy became a movie star: it was a big event when his movies came to the Majestic in town.
The Atlantic & Pacific Tea Cimpany (A&P) moved here from Front St sometime before 1930 and was managed for a long time by John L. Dreisbach.
The 1876 map shows the site owned by George Bower, including two buildings along Bridge and a half dozen around the corner facing Second. Born in Lehighton, Bower came to Catasauqua in 1858 and ran a meat business on 209 Front with a meat store here also. After being elected Sheriff of Lehigh County, his son (CDW) took over the business. George Bower served as burgess for a term, councilman and school director; he lived at 502 Second, which would have been behind the Joshua Hunt home on the lot that would become the bank at Bridge and Second. CDW Bower kept the store here open until after 1903, so it overlapped the Applegate store. The meat business can also be seen in the Sanborn map above.
In 1898, Thomas Jenkins opened a ladies dressmaking and tailoring shop in the “Applegate block”.
Alfred L. Miller operated his tailoring business out of the second floor of the Applegate building beginning in 1906. The largest part of his business was cleaning, pressing and repairing, having shifted much of his new work to Royal tailors of NYC. Before this, his shop was on the corner of Church and Second.
Address: 424 Second
Samuel A. Roth operated a barber shop since 1909, first at 429 Front St, then here at 424 Second St, before moving to 611 Front St, and finally to 213 Bridge St.
Address: Bridge and Second
Name: First National Bank of Catasauqua
Year built: 1910 Built by: First National Bank of Catasauqua
The bank relocated here from Front St in 1910. Having weathered every financial downturn since its creation in 1858, the bank merged with the Lehigh National Bank (corner of Bridge and Front) in 1955, and the same year became part of the First National Bank of Allentown. It was later consolidated into Meridian Bank, then Core States, then First Union, then Wachovia. When Wachovia was consolidated into Wells Fargo, the branch at this location was closed.
The Willow Brook Company had their offices here in 1930. R. S. Weaver was Pres, Sec & Treasurer and A. E. Douglas was vpres. R. S. Weaver was also pres of the Allentown Portland Cement Co, whose offices were here.
Before the bank was built here, the site was the home of Joshua Hunt. Joshua Hunt was descended from Roger Hunt who came to Chester County from Birmingham, England in the mid 1700’s. Educated as a Quaker, Joshua began work at 16 as a superintendent of a rolling-mill erected by his father, Thomas Hunt, in Harrisburg, then worked for his father at a rolling mill in Philadelphia. Joshua Hunt moved to Catasauqua in 1843 to work in the office of the Lehigh Cane Iron Works. He was the assistant superintendent at the Crane until 1867, then became superintendent until 1881. He was an early stockholder and one-time chairman of the Lehigh Fire Brick Co, and early stockholder in the Thomas Iron Co, a founder of the Bryden Horseshoe Co in 1882 (president till 1884), a director of the National Bank of Catasauqua, president of the Catasauqua Gas Co, Chairman of the Baker Lime Co Ltd, and one time president of the Catasauqua & Foglesville Railroad. During the Civil War, he was captain of Company B, 38th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He served on the school board and was an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Catasauqua.
Joshua Hunt married David Thomas’s daughter Gwenllian, and they had 10 children. Their son Thomas Hunt was killed while working as asst superintendent of Lehigh Crane Iron Works (1867-1872). Their son David Hunt started his career at the Oxmoor Furnace in Alabama working for James Thomas. While there, he married Anna Manning, whose father was Judge of the Supreme Court of Alabama for many years. He returned to Catasauqua, and with Lucius H. MacHose, leased and operated the Lehigh Fire Brick Co. David Hunt was a member of the Southwark Hose Co until his death. Joshua Hunt, Jr, was a lawyer. After Gwenllian’s death in 1875, Joshua Hunt married a daughter of Dr. Romig of Allentown, Mrs. Hannah Mays, n 1880. Hunt died in 1886; Mrs Hannah Romig Hays Hunt died in 1824. Joshua & Gwenllian are buried in the Thomas vault at Fairview Cemetery.
Joshua Hunt had a brother Joseph who followed him to Catasauqua and was also an ironman, serving in many of the same postitions as Joshua at the Crane, following his brother. Joseph also bullt several homes in town on spec, was associated with the Allentown Iron Works, and later was an agent for the goverment, inspecting iron and steel products from Bethlehem Iron during war time. Joseph also married a daughter of Dr Romig’s in Allentown, but this time, proceeded his brother.
Joshua Hunt purchased the land from David Thomas, who had originally offered the land free to those interested in building a bank in 1858. At that time, the bank took over a store on Front St, which they renovated. They later paid $75,000 for this lot.
Address: NW corner of Bridge and Second
Name: Pennsylvania Hotel
Year built: 1855
Built by: Harrison Hower
The hotel that originally stood on this site had thirty rooms and was a substantial edifice on the corner of Second and Bridge. Like other hotels in town, proprietorship changed hands many times. Following Hower, the Pennsylvania was owned and run by Edward Overspeck of Allentown and his brother Oliver. The Overpeck property went to auction in 1880 (he and his family moved to Iowa in 1881). Subsequent proprietors were Adam Bellsfield, Aaron Vogel, Ed. Golding, Mr. Von Steuben, Moses Guth (1890), Charles N. Albert and his brother George, Fitchie, and Geiger. Melchior Horn, more associated with the bank across the street, also operated the Penna Hotel for a time, in addition to the Seigfried Hotel in Coplay and another in Northampton. In 1909 John W. Geiger, as proprietor, remodeled the attached tobacco store and converted it into a Rathskeller. Martha Capwell, a descendent of the Geigers, remembers being warned to never go in the hotel (or any bar for that matter).
In 1890, Henry Swartz moved his cigar business here from 603 Front St, operating out of the Pennsylvania Hotel until his death in 1896. The shop can be seen in the 1896 Sanborn map (Sheet 7).
There was a livery in the back run by George F. Wertman, which was bought by Henry J. Wertman from George Wertman’s estate in 1908.
The hotel was torn down in the 1950’s and Fran Reel’s Atlantic Service Station was built here. In the 60’s, Atlantic’s logo was a red ball, and they handed out red balls to frequent customers. If you came in to the station with the red ball on your antenna, you would get the red ball service: they would clean your windows and check your oil, and you got your gas for free if the attendant forgot to ask. One of the attendants admitted to filling one of the slots in the soda machine with beer for his friends.
Afterwards it was the site of Angelo’s Restaurant. A Chinese takeout and pizza/sandwich shop now occupy the site.
Address: 208 Bridge
Name: Cornelius F. Roth Photography
Many photographic portraits from the turn of the century taken in Catasauqua came out of C. F. Roth’s photography shop. Always marked “Second & Bridge St”, the Sanborn map of 1908 suggests that this elusive studio was next to the Pennsylvania Hotel, on the east side. The 1914 history states he opened his gallery here in 1874. He died between 1914 and 1916. In 1930, Helen Wonderly opened a beauty shop at 208 Bridge St, later moving the business to 425 Front St. Afterward, the building was replaced with an ACME grocers (see photo above).
Address: 210 Bridge
Name: Applegate Residence
Year built: bet 1872-1876
Built by: Oliver Overpeck
The residence just above where the hotel stood, on the edge of the business district, was built by Oliver Overpeck circa1885. He and his brother Edward ran the Pennsylvania Hotel (next door) for a period. In 1885, Oliver also operated the livery stable for the hotel. Oliver Overpeck died in 1884, leaving a wife, Emma, and child, Edward Luther Overpeck, who then moved to 511 Second Street. Emma worked as a clerk at H. W. Hunsicker’s Bee Hive. His son Edward worked as a messenger boy for the Western Union Company and as a jeweler at E. Keller & Son’s store; he died at the age of 23 in 1896 from ‘consumption’.
Samuel Thomas purchased the property in 1884 and resold it In 1891 to George Applegate. (In 1893, George moved his business on Front St to the market accross the street at Bridge and Second, as the Applegate Department Store.) The home stayed in the Applegate family until 1958, passing to George Applegate’s wife Emma upon his death in 1931 and to their granddaughter Grace, son Charles & wife Mary, in 1949 after Emma died.
This area of town was previously part of the 18 acres that was the John Peter farm, land sold to David Thomas in 1850. Thomas sold part of the parcel, which would be split up later into the residential lot and the corner business lot (NE corner of Second and Bridge), to Levi Hass in 1853. Haas sold it 6mo later to Wm Fegley, who sold it in 1857 to Harrison & Maria Hower. Hower built the Pennsylvania Hotel on the west side of the lot and in 1869, split off the eastern part of the lot (31 ft frontage on Bridge) to Edward Overpeck. At that time, there were no buildings yet on the lot. He sold the lot to his brother Oliver in 1872 (the value of the property being only $800, suggests there was still no building on the lot). However upon Oliver’s death in 1884, Samuel Thomas (David Thomas’s son) purchased the property, with building, for $4,650 – a building is shown on the 1876 map. Thomas resold the property for $4,250 in 1891 to George Applegate. Applegate would open the Catasauqua Department Store on the SW corner of Second and Bridge in 1893.
The Italianate architectural style was popular in the Victorian era from the 1860s into the late 1880s. This style features wide overhanging eaves with brackets, cornices over the windows, two-story side bay window and balustrated porch over porch on the west side of the house, and a tall appearance. While the Italiante house typically had flat roofs, the taller roof may be a nod to the snow clime.
Entering the home through the tall arched doorway, the mahogany staircase has a curved base softening the straight line of the center hallway. Note the ornate wall mounted radiator in the hallway. Another 10 ft arched doorway leads into the front parlor. The parlor also features tall arched windows with a heavy bracketed cornice, typical of the Italiante style, crown molding and high baseboards. The downstairs formal rooms have the original oak floors framed with fruitwood inlays, and the upstairs has the original plank floors.
Address: 212/212 ½ Bridge St
Year built: 1850
This unassuming building is one of the oldest buildings on Bridge St, dating back to 1850. Lehigh County deed records and the 1876 map take us back to the Wm. J. Craig estate; the building also shows on the 1873 and 1862 maps. William J. Craig was a freight agent for the Lehigh Valley RR: his home with wife Elizabeth was here in 1890. The 1890 directory also lists Annie M. Craig, a dressmaker, and Mary M. Craig, a principal, living here. When he died in 1892, he left the home to his daughter Eliza Royer. In 1896, a 30X60 ft parcel along the back of the lot was purchased by Samuel Thomas to allow for an extension of Strawberry St: the property backs onto the David Thomas estate.
The 1894-1900 Catty directories list Charles F. & Mary M. (Craig) Prescott living here, running the green grocery/ fruit and produce stand in the front; an 1898 Dispatch has an ad for Prescott’s at “214 Bridge” serving ice cream and a dinner menu that featured mince meat, oysters, salads, fruits and nuts. Mary and Charles Prescott moved to Wash DC, where he worked as a statistician for the census and Mary was a writer on household economics and a member of the National Women’s Press Association (and its secretary for several years). Mary died in 1909.
he 1908 directory lists no one at this address and the 1908 Sanborn map shows the produce stand as vacant. In 1912, The J W Fuller Republican Club temporarily occuplied the building, with their meeting room on the first floor and “card room” upstairs. Wint and Elverson were the first officers of the new club organized in 1911.
Eliza Royer passed away in 1919, and the property was purchased by John and Monroe Frey who operated a plumbing business; the 1922 ad shows Frey Brothers plumbing contractors operated out of the small commercial building at the front of the lot. The property ended up in a sheriffs sale in 1943, and was purchased by Carolyn and James P. Thomas (of Greek Heritage, no relation to the David or Hopkin Thomas lines) who ran a produce delivery business with a produce stand at the front of the property. They previously operated a similar business on Front next to the Eagle Hotel. This Thomas family owned the property until 1970 when it was purchased by George and Diane Schlacter, then sold to Robert A Schlegel, Sr, before being purchased by Ronald Brosky. It was home to Brosky Insurance before Broskys relocated to Race St across from the airport.
Magic and More Hair Designs has operated here for more than three decades.
The Sanborn map section is from 1913.
Address: 205 Bridge St
Name: Post Office
Year built: 1935
During the depression in the 1930’s, federal money was made available for the construction of post offices through the WPA program. The William’s estate* at 2nd and Bridge was chosen, the house razed, and construction began in 1935. The design was utilitarian, compared with the PO building on the NW side of Bridge: it had three sections: the front lobby including the Postmaster’s office, a 40X42 ft sorting room, and a rear loading platform. A mezzanine to the rear provided a concealed view of the clerks’ activity by postal inspectors. A second story over the loading dock contained a break area for employees. Mail was collected and delivered three times daily! The route covered Catty, North Catty, and the west side of the Lehigh River. WPA funding also was used to create the ‘stage coach’ mural by F. Luis Mora, which is still on display today in the lobby of the Post Office.
Before the post office relocated here,*205-207 Bridge St, was originally the Williams & Davis family residences. Closest to the corner was the home of David Williams, Jr., a partner in, and superintendent of, the Union Foundry (Front and Pine). His brother John and wife Emma also lived here at one time. David served in Co B 38thPA Volunteers during Lee’s invasion of PA. He had two children with his first wife Mary and 8 children (who survived past infancy) with his wife Lucinda. Lucinda Snyder Williams’ father Johathan Snyder was collector for the LC&NCo at the canal lock at Catasauqua. David Jr. died in1894 from a fall out of a third story window of his home, which was suspected of being a suicide; he suffered from melancholy and insomnia and was very troubled over his responsibilites at the Union Foundry, keeping men employed.
David Williams, Jr was the son of David & Gwenney Williams who immigrated to America in 1833, traveling extensively in Mexico before settling in Catasauqua in 1840 and becoming a moulder att the Crane Iron. David Sr died in1845 and his wife died in 1855. The family homestead was on Howertown Rd (later the residence of son Thomas P and his son J. Arthur Williams). David Jr’s brothers, who were also important industrialists here in Catasauqua, were Thomas P. (died in a RR accident in 1872), Oliver (616 2nd, of CMCo and Bryden) and John Williams (325 Bridge St, no longer standing, Crane Iron accountant).
The family home of Noah Davis was just above the David Williams home on the south side of Bridge above Second. Born in Wales, Noah Davis immigrated to America in the 1830s (Pottsville), and came to Catasauqua in 1846. He was the boss blacksmith at the Lehigh Crane Iron Co until his death in 1859. He and his wife Margaret Gwynne, also born in Wales, had many children. The Davis family has a plot at Fairview Cemetery.
Their son Daniel was one of the first children to attend the Bridge St School (SW cornerr of Bridge and Howertown) when it was built. His first job was in the blacksmith shop at the Crane. He fought in the Civil War from 1861-1865 mustering out as a Sergeant; he cast his first ballot (for A.Lincoln) while on the battlefield. After the war, he was an agent for the Central RR of NJ before becoming superintendent of the Keystone Furnace at Chain Dam, continuing after the furnace was acquired by the Thomas Iron Co. The Thomas Iron Co later made Daniel Davis superintendent of Lock Ridge Furnace. He retired from there in 1909.
Their son David Davis began working in the shops of the Lehigh Crane Iron Works at age 11. Over the years he worked his way up to chief clerk and in 1892, with the death of John Williams, he was appointed Cashier of the Crane Iron Works. He served on the Catasauqua school board for 37 years, was elected to a three-year term as Recorder of Deeds of Lehigh County in 1905. He was a member of the Porter Lodge, F. and A. M.; Fuller Post No. 378, G. A. R.; and the Southwark Hose Company No. 9, serving as president for a period of thirty years.
heir son Charles L. Davis became Assistant Master Mechanic of the Carnegie Steel Company at Rankin, Pennsylvania.
Their son Henry Davis was employed by the Lehigh Crane Iron Works as an accountant for several years and in 1866 he became the bookkeeper of the Catasauqua Manufacturing Company. In 1874 he became treasurer of the firm and he held that position until the company ceased operations in 1893. Henry Davis was elected Chief Burgess of Catasauqua in 1878 and he served as such thru 1880. He was also appointed postmaster of Catasauqua by President William McKinley in 1898 and he served in this capacity until his death.
Their son John B. Davis was employed as a clerk in the offices of the Lehigh Crane Iron Works. A lifelong bachelor he passed away in the old family home at 207 Bridge Street in 1909.
The 1916 directory lists the Bennett family living at 207 Bridge: Rachael, a stenographer, Chester, a machinist, and Agnes. widow of Alfred. Shortly afterward, Chester married and he and his wife Edith moved to 1082 Howertown Rd. Agnes Bennett was still living here in 1930.
Address: 211 Bridge St
Name: Angelo’s Shoe Repair
Angelo Ingelese learned shoe making in his native Italy. He operated his store at various locations. Before WWI, Angelo’s Shoe Service was at 511 Front St, and after the WWI for 21 years (1918-1939),he was at 407 Front St before moving here. The ad came from a 1918 CHS Brown & White. Angelo is pictured in the photo.
Before Angelo, this was the home of the John Davies family from (or before) 1885 to 1926. There were a few other John Davies in the area, including North Catasauqua, Fullerton/Ferndale, Allentown & Slatington. The directories from 1898 to 1920 incorrectly list this family’s surname as Davis. Hannah Davies, the last of the family here in 1926, was a teacher in the public school for many years. She never married. Other family members listed in the 1885 directory (the house number then was 108 Bridge), were John B., bookkeeper Catasauqua Mfrg. Co.; Harry J., machinist; Margaretta, widow Noah; and Mary. Mary and Hannah lived here alone after 1900.
Address: 213 Bridge St
Samuel A. Roth operated a barber shop since 1909, first at 424 Second St, then at 429 Front St, a short stint at 611 Front St, back to 429 Front for 33 years, then to 213 Bridge St, where he was at the time of the 1953 Centennial. The 1929/1930 directory lists this as the residence of Clarence H. Costenbader (chauffeur), his wife Mada, and daughter Pearl. Costenbaders also lived at 209 Bridge: Harry (janitor), his wife Annie, daughter Alma, and son Ray (clerk).
Cornelius F. Roth opened a photograph gallery at the corner of Second and Bridge in 1874. The 1890 directory places him at Bridge near Front,this was just behind the Eagle Hotel (as shown on the 1896 Sanborn map). At that time he lived at the lower end of Front St. By 1908, when his shop was here, he was also a justice of the peace and he lived with his wife Cora at 511 Second.
Address: 215 Bridge St
Name: Frank’s Lunch/Hill’s Restaurant
Benjamin Weaver ran his carpentry business out of this building in 1885-1890 according to the local diretories. He lived here with his wife Mary. William H Graham and family, superintendent of the Catasauqua Manufuring Co boarded here durring their tenure in Catasauqua. In 1895 they moved to Pittsburgh and J Sketchy Elverson, president of CMCO moved in. Elverson married Maude Fuller and they moved into their new residence at 533 Fourth. In 1900 Edward Edwards and his family lived here: he was president and general manager of the Slatington Rolling Mills at that time.
F. J. Campbell moved his tailoring business here in 1913, having previously been located at 129 Bridge St: the tailoring business at 129 was previously run by H. L. Miller until 1911.
In the late 1930’s, the Christ family resided here, and Daniel Christ ran a hobby shop on the first floor. His father Leslie Christ was a chauffeur for (tba).
Frank & Emma Bahl moved to Catasauqua in 1945 from Allentown to take over a candy and ice cream shop at 129 Bridge. They added lunch sandwiches including Frank’s steak sandwiches, and in 1953, moved to the larger space at 215 Bridge. In addition to providing larger counter and booth seating space, they sold candies, nuts, drugs, magazines, and newspapers. Frank Bahl passed away in 1961. Hill’s was open for over 40 years, before retiring their restaurant in 2016. The Bridge Street Family Restaurant opened in April of 2017.
Address: 217-219 Bridge St
The 1887 directory lists 217 Bridge (then 114) as the real estate office and residence of W. A Laubach and his wife Hannah. William Laubach was identified as a coal agent in the 1895 directory. Eliza Laubach, widow of Joseph, lived next door.(then 116 Bridge). They were no longer in town in 1898. Stephen (machinist), Sallie Deily and a daughter Verna, a teacher, lived here from 1910-28. They moved here from 608 Race St.