Police Department History
Recently Retired Catasauqua Police Officers
Catasauqua Police Department History
1880 to 1940
The first High Constable of whom we have found record was Charles Sigley, who was appointed March 18, 1853. An ordinance prescribing certain rules for the government of the department was passed in 1870. Bartley Clark was then High Constable and William Koons his assistant.
Charles E. Sheckler was appointed June 7, 1875 and has served as public guardian ever since, save a brief intermission of four years, 1908-1912, when J. Henry Leickel was Chief of Police.
Chief Sheckler is a familiar figure on our streets which he guards zealously against vagrants and the scions of evil and harm. Our Lockup is not an institution which inspires much of aesthetics but it serves our Borough well as a terror to evil doers. It is a dark background to the sublime picture of humane being out of which the penitent errorist may the better behold the beauty of a righteous life and solemnly resolved to walk in the rays of its happy day, when freedom’s air is breathed again. It is interesting to note the names of men who wore brass buttons and swung the Billy to the measured time of their gait.
W. A. HilbertJoseph Schwab
E F Huffort
Andrew SmithEdward Allender
From — A History of Catasauqua in Lehigh County PA by James F Lambert and Henry J Reinhard. 1914
1941 to 1970