Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Third Street Mansion District

Third Street Mansion District

Page under construction; pictures TBA
Address:  515 Third
Year built:  before 1865 (1st home on Third Street)
Built by:  George Washington Smith

The early numbering on this home was 5 Third St.  George Washing ton Smith (GWS) built the home, the first to be built on Third St.  It is pictured on the 1876 lot map under his name, and the 1873-74 directory lists G W Smith as a contractor here.  In that role, he laid the water lines for the Crane Iron Works (date unk).  GWS was an early settler of Maugh Chunk, starting a wire making business there in 1826.  He was also a founder of the First Presbyterian Church in Maugh Chunk.  It passed to his daughter Hannah Smith and his wife Jean in 1885.  Later daughter Kate McVicar Smith was listed in the 1890 directory; and in 1894 it was Anna (daughter and teacher, but listed as a housekeeper) and Kate (a teacher).  Kate McV Smith was a teacher here for 40 years.  At age 80, Kate was president of the Catasauqua 1st Church Auxilliary and “pride of the Lehigh Presbyterial Society” (1909).  
When D G Dery first moved to town, a note in the Allentown Leader. Sept 1898, reported that he moved his househgold goods into the Smith homestead on Third Street, planning to make that his residence. However this likely didn’t happen.  In 1898, Hattie Lambert, widow of Lewis, a machinist for the Davies and Thomas Co, moved here from Kurtz St below American, joining Anna and Kate.  That June, the house was the scene of the wedding of her daughter Alice, a teacher, to Roland Davies, of the Davies and Thomas Company.  Alice died three weeks after the wedding.  Roland later married Miss Annie Fuller; they lived at 235 Bridge.  Hattie moved to Allentown in 1917, and died at 1927 at the age of 81.  Anna Smith died here age age 76 in 1905. Kate slipped on the ice in Dec 1910 and passed away.  Hattie Lambert moved to 1001 3rd, then in 1917 moved in with her son in Allentown, where she died in 1927 at age 81.  The home was sold by Kate’s estate to the Lutheran congregation in 1911, for use as a parsonage.

Address: 521 Third St                                                        
Name: David Davis
Year built:  1875
Built by:  David Davis

David and Annie Davis purchased the lot for 521 Third from David Thomas in 1871.  David Davis and his brother Daniel (see 605 Third) were sons of Margaret (1821-1891) and Noah Davis (1810-1859), the head blacksmith for the Lehigh Crane Iron Works.  They grew up in the family home on the corner of Second and Bridge, the current site of the post office, along with brothers Henry and John (CMCo), Samuel, sisters Mary and Hannah and others.   
David started work at the Crane Iron Works at age 11 after his father died, working his way up from errand boy (1860) to chief clerk.  Upon the death of John Williams in 1892, he became Cashier of the Crane Iron.  David served in Co B, 38th PA Volunteer Infantry during Civil War, was a member of Catasauqua School Board, served as Recorder of Deeds for Lehigh County, was a member of Porter Lodge, the G.A.R. (served as commander), and the Southwark Hose Co (president for 30 yrs).   David served as president of the first Eisteddfod, a Welsh music festival/competition held in the Lehigh Valley, in 1893.  Along with John Williams and Joshua Hunt, he helped organize the first savings and loan in town in 1868. 
David married Annie McKibbon of Philadelphia in 1869 and they had the following children:  Bessie, born August, 1870, died 1939; Willard, born 1874, employed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad, Philadelphia, died 1932; Mabel, born August, 1876, died 1954; Martha, born September, 1878, died 1934; Charles L., employed as an Assistant Master Mechanic of the Carnegie Steel Company at Rankin, Pennsylvania; and Sallie, born 1885, died 1891.  David’s wife Annie died in 1916 and David followed in 1917; the house passed on to their daughters, Bessie, Mabel, and Martha. 
M. Davis sold the property in 1944 to Albert and Madeline Schuler Hazlinsky.  Their daughter and her husband, Quinn, are the current residents.  The Quinn family ancestor, Thomas Quinn, operated a general store at Front and Walnut and served in the 153rd Regiment during the Civil War.  He was taken captive and wounded at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.  He retired to N. Catty where he served as Justice of the Peace.

Address:  527 Third St                                                                    
Name: Semmel/Corwin/Roberts/Glick/Carothers/Capwell Residence
Year built: 1874  

Built by: Cain Semmel
Mr. Semmel was in the building business.  One of his projects was building the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church in 1871; in 1874 he built the new steeple for the Egypt Church.  He was also on St. Paul’s building committee in 1887 for building the new church.  Semmel purchased the lot from David Thomas; this was part of the Peter Farm.
After Semmel, this was the home of Charles Corwin and wife Mary E. Force.  They moved here in 1861 and had two children:  daughter Ida married J. Arthur Williams (they also lived here) and son Charles Stanley Corwin.  Charles partnered with his brother Henry from NJ and Milton G. Faust  in a general store on the corner of Front & Church Sts, operating it as C. Corwin & Bro.  This home at the time carried the address of 11 N. 3rd, before the renumbering in 1896.  Susan Corbett was listed as a domestic here in 1890.
The 1894 to 1898 directories list this as the home of Minnie (Milson) and Harry J. Seaman, then superintendent of the Atlas Cement Co.  In 1898, the Seamans built the red brick Romanesque style home across Pine from the Dery Mansion.  Starting  as a chemist at the Crane, he went on to lead the Atlas Cement Co, and was general manager at the time they got the contract for the Panama Canal.  Seaman previously built the red brick home on the SW corner of Fourth and Strawberry, which they sold to the Chapmans. 
When the Bryden was built, Jacob Roberts, then part owner and superintendent of Phoenix Horse Shoe Company of Poughkeepsie, NY, was hired by Oliver Williams as superintendent of the new facility in Catasauqua.  Roberts moved to Catasauqua in 1889 and began to build and equip the plant, eventually operating a complete rolling mill plus bender and pressing irons for the exclusive manufacture of horse and mule shoes. 
Jacob Roberts and his wife Catherine, of Clintondale, NY, were married in 1855 and had the following children: Frances D (married to Woodruff H. Simonson); William B.; Eva M. & Ida T., both died in infancy; and Vina, who married Austin A. Glick, Esq. of Catasauqua.  The Roberts initially lived on the corner of Second & Strawberry before moving here after the Corwins.  Jacob Roberts was a member of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Catasauqua, died  November 18, 1905, and is buried at Fairview Cemetery. His widow, Catherine, died October 26, 1920 and her remains were also interred at Fairview Cemetery.  
Following the death of Catherine Roberts, the home became the sole residence of daughter Vina and her husband Austin Glick.  Austin Glick grew up in the family home at 120 Front St, attended Muhlenberg, and established his law practice in 1886 in the old National Bank of Catasauqua building on lower Front St, later moving his practice to the POSA building on Bridge St.  He was also in the insurance business, served as Borough Solicitor, and served on the local Board of Health.  His father Aaron served on the building committee for the Evangelical Church at Second and Walnut.  Aaron, his wife Mary Ann Boyer, and family moved here from a farm in Howertown.  Vina Glick left the home to her friends John and Ruth Glazier in 1953.  John Glazier converted the home into two apts, living downstairs and renting out the upstairs apt.  
After the Korean War, Jim Carothers purchased the home through his company, C and S Fabric Co.  His family lived on the second floor and rented the first floor to Louis and Martha Geiger Capwell.  The Carothers moved to larger accommodations when their family grew (the Bridge St Presbyterian Manse) and later sold this home to the Capwells, who converted it back to a single family home.

Address: 533 Third St
Name:  Morgan Emmanuel Jr./Daniel Milson, Jr.      
Year built: 1885                                   
Built by: Joshua Hunt

This and three other homes in the neighborhood were built by Joseph Hunt, the brother of Joshua Hunt whose home was on the north side of Bridge St, between Railroad and Second.  Joshua’s home was razed for construction of the bank after the Hunts passed away.

Joseph Hunt was the brother of Joshua Hunt (son-in-law of David Thomas).  Joseph Hunt was asst supr of the Crane from 1871-1881 and supervisor from 1881-89.  He also served as superintendent of the Thomas Iron Works, pres of Allentown Foundry and Machine Co, and became a steel expert/inspector for the US Navy (1897).  After living here, he and his wife moved to Allentown, where they lived with her father Dr. Geo Romig at 523 Hamilton St.  He died suddenly there at age 54.
The home was purchased by Morgan Emanuel, Jr. and his wife Margaret Lewis Emanuel in 1887, three years after his father died.  (At that time, the Morgan, Sr. homestead (now the Catasauqua Club and adjoining properties) was subdivided)  Morgan Jr. and his family lived here until 1903; he died in 1901, having been involved in, and owner of, mining and construction companies and particularly blasting. 
His father, Morgan, supplied iron ore to the Crane and also was an early investor in The Thomas Iron Co.   Morgan Jr.’s mother, Mary Jenkins, died in Wales. His father married Elizabeth Miller of Easton after moving here in 1841; they had two more children, Margaret and Thomas.  Morgan, Jr. (born 1831) worked in the mines in Wales, then followed his father to Catasauqua, where he returned to school, before going to work at the Lehigh Crane Iron Works.  There, he learned the blacksmith trade from David Davis.  He worked in the railroad shops of the LV Railroad and married Margaret Lewis of Mauch Chunk in 1855.  He helped build the Thomas Iron Works in Hokendauqua as head of the blacksmith shop there.  He later supplied furnace furnishings for the Crane, became the Crane’s agent for supplying limestone, and opened a quarry to supply stone for the construction of furnaces 3 & 4 at the Hokendauqua plant.  Working with his father-in-law, Lewis, Morgan Emanuel, Jr. introduced dynamite to the Lehigh Valley (1861) and was the first to introduce “Magneto” (combination of Leyden jar and electric batteries) for firing fuses.  He received patents for blasting powder (using Chile saltpeter)  and started a business with William E. Thomas manufacturing blasting powder in a facility on the west side of the river by the  Race St Bridge, using patents he received for the use of Chile saltpeter.  Emanuel, Lewis & Company/ Emanuel and Son supplied powder and other explosives to local mines and quarries until his death in 1901.  He traveled as agent for Smith & Rand Powder Co of NY and Rand Drill Co, office in Denver, furnishing blasting powder for construction of the Union and Pacific Railroad from Cheyenne to Ogden.  
In 1863, Morgan, Jr. served in 38th PA Volunteer Infantry during Civil war.  He owned the Crystal Hill Dairy farm in Northampton, and he and his son David (born in 1865) operated Crystal hill Creamery on 2nd St. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Catasauqua and became a Ruling Elder there.  
David, son of Morgan Jr, was born in Catasauqua in 1860, and followed his father Morgan, Jr. in the powder business.  David organized Emanuel & Co for the manufacture and crushing of blast furnace slag for roofing and concrete aggregate and did general contracting for the furnaces.  He married Winifred Williams, who was the daughter of Oliver Williams (616 2nd St) and the sister of Jessica (Williams) Holden.  David also went into partnership with his father in the Crystal Hill Dairy and Creamery.  Morgan, Jr.’s son William studied chemistry at Lafayette College and was appointed to the position his father held as general agent for Lafin and Rand Powder Supply, with his headquarters in Denver.  He also engaged in general mine and mill supplies for various companies.  While visiting the family home at Third and Strawberry for his father’s funeral, he became ill and died a month later.  The Emanuels are buried in Fairview Cemetery.  William’s career took him outside the region, but a good bio on his accomplishments can be found in the Transactions of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, Volume 33, 1902, page XXVII.  He died in 1901.

In 1903 the Morgan family home here was sold to Daniel Milson, Jr. Daniel Milson, Jr was born in 1875 in Catasauqua, one of 11 children.  Daniel Milson bought this home in 1903 and his family lived there for almost 80 years.  He died in 1957. 
He grew up in his parent’s home on the southeast corner of Second and Chapel Streets.  His father, Daniel Milson, came to Catasauqua in 1854, after first working as a boiler maker in Philadelphia.  Here, he worked for the Crane Iron Company, then The Thomas Iron Company (he helped build the furnaces at Hokendauqua). In 1863 he served two months during the Civil War, then went to Ohio with David Thomas, Jr., helping to build a furnace there.  Upon returning, he started a boiler shop in Catasauqua (1865) taking contracts and building furnaces. He did all the work in his line in the Crane Iron Company shops on Front St and took contracts from all parts of the state, having as many as forty men engaged in working for him. Daniel Milson, Jr.’s father passed away in 1905 and his mother, Elizabeth (Davies) Milson, passed away in 1894:  their remains are buried at Fairview Cemetery.
Daniel Milson, Jr. began a coal business in Catasauqua in 1897 and opened a limestone quarry on the Frank Deily estate to furnish stone to the Crane furnaces.  A limestone crusher was erected along Catasauqua Creek on the Deily property in 1902.  Milson also installed a 500 TPD crusher at the old quarry on the Kurtz estate.  Stone from this quarry was furnished for the paving of the streets of Catasauqua.  (In 1922, AAA blacklisted Catasauqua because of the poor condition of its streets.)  
Dr. Charles E. and Camilla Deily Milson moved here from 763 Second in 1908.  Camilla died in 1920.  Daughter Ruth Milson operated a private kindergarten in the spacious third floor of the home in the 1930’s.  Dr Milson died in 1949.  Their daughters Gertrude and Ruth Milson lived here on Third St until 1983.  Ruth died in 1980 and Gertrude in 1984.

Site History: Third St lots were not sold by David Thomas until 1870.

Architectural Notes: Characteristics of the Eastlake style include the many gables, varied window designs, and broad veranda with its geometric railing.  The home features a spacious reception area lit by three stained glass windows in the hall and staircase.  Formal dining and living rooms and library with fireplace remain essentially as they were.  Home design was based on the Asa Packer Mansion in Jim Thorpe.  Copper beech trees which framed the front entrance were taken down several years ago due to disease. 

Address: 543 Third St                                
Name: Samuel Thomas/Edwin Thomas/Durham/Bugbee Residence
Year built: 1865                        
Built by: David Thomas

Built by David Thomas for his family*, and occupied by his son Samuel, and later, Samuel’s son Edwin and their families. 
Samuel Thomas, son of David Thomas was born in Wales, moved to America with his family in 1839 at the request of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co, and accompanied his father on his first trip to the site where they would construct the Lehigh Crane iron furnaces.  After attending school at Nazareth Hall in Northampton County, he spent 4 years working in the blacksmith and machine shops of the Lehigh Crane Iron Works to learn the business and took an active role in the management of the iron works.  At the age of 21, he helped erect and startup an anthracite iron furnace at the Boonton Iron Co in NJ before returning to the Lehigh Crane Works in time to erect the No 4&5 furnaces in 1849. He became superintendent of the Thomas Iron Co in Hokendauqua in 1854, then President in 1864. He also organized the Lock Ridge Iron Co in Alburtis before it was acquired by the Thomas Iron Co.  Samuel developed mining properties for Lehigh Crane Iron Co and was also associated with the Catasauqua Manufacturing Co and Lehigh Fire Brick Co.  He was actively involved in the communities of Catasauqua and Hokendauqua.  He led the funding drive to erect the first Civil War Monument in PA, the Soldier’s monument in Fairview Cemetery. In 1887, Samuel and his son Edwin purchased mineral lands and built a blast furnace near Birmingham, Alabama under the name of Pioneer Mining and Manufacturing Co, subsequently resigning from the Thomas Iron Co.   This plant was sold in 1899 to the Republic Iron Co upon Samuel’s retirement.    He resided in the Mansion at 2nd and Pine during his later years.  He married Rebecca Mickley in 1848 and they had two children, Gertrude and Edwin.   Upon Rebecca’s death in 1894, he remarried.  He died in 1906.
Samuel Thomas wrote “Reminiscences of the Early Anthracite Iron Industry”, which was read by him at the September 1899 meeting of the AIME in San Francisco. 
His son Edwin and family moved in c1900.  Edwin Thomas, son of Samuel Thomas, followed his grandfather, David, and father, Samuel, at the Thomas Iron Co. He attended Swarthmore and Lafayette Colleges, but still entered the family business by working as a machinist for three years in Hokendauqua before becoming superintendent at the Lock Ridge works (1877-1880). After working as General Manager of Chestnut Hill Iron Co in Columbia, PA for 2 years, he returned to Hokendauqua and served as purchasing agent and manager of the mechanical engineering department of Thomas Iron.
From 1886-1899, Edwin was General Mgr, VP, then President of the Pioneer Mining and Manufacturing Co in Alabama, a company built by him and his father. He stayed on a year after the sale, then moved back to 543 Third St in Catasauqua.  He served as VP of Thomas Iron Co from 1915-1916, president of the  Nescopee Coal Co, and was a director of the Upper Lehigh Coal Co, Wahnetah Silk, Thomas Iron, Hazel Brook Coal, and  Virginia Coal & Iron.  He was a trustee of St Luke’s Hospital, and served as President of the National Bank of Catasauqua from 1903 till his death in 1924. He was an Elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Catasauqua. 
Edwin & his wife Ella made some changes to the home during their tenure.  Indeed, newspaper clippings refer to him building a two-story cottage here, followed by a later addition and subsequent improvements.
Other Occupants:   Edwin was here until his father Samuel died in 1906, at which point he moved into 2nd & Pine.  Grace and Richard Kohler then moved into Third and Pine.  Grace was the oldest daughter of Oliver Williams and Richard Kohler was the chief accountant for the Union Foundry.  They married in 1902 and bought 545 Fourth St in 1910.  
From 1910-1914, Henry G. Barnhurst, his wife Florence, and two daughters lived here.  After his mother’s death (his parents lived in Allentown), his father Henry A. moved in with his son’s family here.  He and his father were both employees of Fuller Engineering, Henry G was a mechanical engineer and his father was a consulting engineer and expert in cement manufacturing machinery.  His father died suddenly in 1914 while boarding an electric car in Allentown to return home to Catasauqua.  The Barnhursts had moved to the area around 1904, when Henry A became superintendent of Lehigh Foundry and Machine Co in Fullerton.  Henry G and his wife Florence lived at 507 Walnut before moving here to the corner of Pine and Third.
Chester and Mary Dyer and their children Edgar, Eleanor, Henrietta, Rachel and lived here c1917 to 1921.  Chester was a blacksmith, a machinist, and later foreman, having worked at Atlas Cement and Bethlehem Steel.  Mary, who was very active in the Red Cross and other community organizations, died in 1920 at age 57.  Chester, Edgar, Rachel and her husband Stanley Newhard continued living here into 1921.  
Edwin Thomas sold the home to Fred S. Durham in 1923. Durham owned Bonney Forge in Allentown, making forged valve bodies. The Durham family sold the home to Monica and Newt Bugbee, Jr. in 1955.  Newt’s mother was Blanche Thomas Horn, daughter of James Thomas (son of Hopkin Thomas) and Mary Ann Davies (daughter of Daniel Davies and brother of George Davies).  

Architectural Notes:  The original home was two & 1/2 stories with a Mansard roof. There were no outbuildings since the carriage house & stable were shared with 525 Second. Georgian period renovations were made in 1972 following a serious fire.  Interior is open and spacious. Drawing room, library and paneled dining room open off the entrance hall. 

*  David Thomas also built a large home In Hokendauqua for his son John who followed his father at the Lehigh Crane Iron Works, then took over management of the Hokendauqua Works after Samuel moved on to the works in Alabama. John was similarly involved in the Catasauqua Manufacturing Co, the Lehigh Fire Brick Co and the National Bank of Catasauqua. John had several sons, three of whom (David H., Samuel R. & Capt. John W.) also followed in the family businesses.

Address:  601 Third St                    
Year built:  c 1922                      
Built by:  Burtis & Elizabeth Laub

Burtis Laub had this home built while he was assistant cashier at the Lehigh National Bank in town.  However in 1926 he lost the home and his job when he was found guilty of bank fraud.  The Wotrings, Dora and Harry S, who operated a store at 318 Church St, bought the home and lived here until 1948, at which time they moved to Neffs and sold the home to William E Dougherty of Allentown.

Address:  605 Third St                    
Name:  Daniel Davis
Year built:  1870-1872                      
Built by:Daniel Davis 

Brother of David Davis (531 Third) and son of Noah & Margaret Davis (site of current PO), Daniel Davis began as an agent of the Central Railroad of NJ in Catasauqua.  He bought this lot from David Thomas in 1870, adjacent to 607, a lot to be conveyed to Robert E Williams, who built the abutting home at 607.  The double wide home appears on the 1872 Vogt print/map.  Robert E Williams and Daniel Davis served together in the 76th Regiment of PA Volunteers.  Daniel Davis served four years in the 46th Regiment PA Volunteer Infantry, mustering out in 1865 after surviving many battles, including Sherman’s March to the Sea.  
In 1879, Thomas Iron Co gave Daniel Davis the position of Superintendent of Keystone Furnace at Chain Dam, and 7 years later made him Superintendent of Lock Ridge Furnace, where he worked until his retirement 23 years later.  He returned to 605 Third in Catasauqua in November 1907.  He was a member of the Porter Lodge and First Presbyterian Church.   Daniel was married to Gwenny nee Williams (daughter of David & Gwenny Williams family of Howertown Rd)  A son Walter Westinghouse Electrical Works, and daughters Margaret E and Mame.   Gwenny and Daniel both died in 1918, Gwenny preceeding Daniel in death.   David and Daniel’s brother Samuel ended up in Dover NJ, where he was editor of the Dover Advance.  Samuel’s son, Harry, became supt of Clairton Steel, just outside of Pittsburgh.  Their brother John B and sisters Mary & Hannah Davis, both teachers, lived at 211 Bridge.  John worked as bookkeeper for CMCo, Allentown Iron Works, and others.
Mrs James (Annie) Mickley lived here from 1887-1914 with her daughter Mabel.  Annie died in 1915.   Her father (Andrew Cooper of Mauch Chunk) was associated with the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co and her husband was associated with the Thomas Iron Co. 
In 1920 Dr. Harry L. and Anna J. (McAfee) Baker purchased the property, moving their home and practice and that of his father Dr. Albert L. Baker (and his wife Catherine) from 232 Pine St to 605 Third.  Dr. Albert Baker retired, then passed away in the mid 1920s.   Dr Harry Baker and his wife Anna owned the home until 1967, but moved their residence and the practice to 302 Walnut St in the 1930s.  Harry was first married to Hallie, who died in 1916.  Harry died in 1951. 

Address:  607 Third St                    
Name:  Cpl Robert E Williams
Year built:  1870-1872
Built by:  Robert E. Williams        

Robert E Williams, General Freight Agent of the CFRR for which he worked for 30 years.  In 1891 after the CFRR was taken over by the Philadelphia and Reading RR, Williams became head bookkeeper for the Davies and Thomas.  Williams was a Corporal in 47th under Capt Matchette.  Williams was badly injured and Matchette and Davis saved his life.  The story was remembered and published in the July 9th 1881 Catasauqua Dispatch, and was picked up by the NYTimes on July 15th and later the Allentown.  After William’s death, his widow, Margaret, resided here until her death in 1926.

The 1929/1930 CBD lists this as the home of Philip P.Stacy, supt, and his wife Ida.  By 1940, they had moved to 417 Bridge St.  Philip worked at a machine sewing co and his wife Ida was a supervisor at a garment co (as per 1940 census).